Sunday, January 4, 2009

LBJ Grasslands Ride 010309

LBJ Grasslands Ride 010309

The weather was fantastic as predicted and it was a great day for a ride. Some of the RUT family went down south but based on their time of departure and the miles they wanted to cover I just had to forfeit the ride and go on my own. When we rode up to Muenster yesterday we had talked about riding down 730 in to the LBJ grasslands but it was just too late for adding those miles and see things to take the trip so I thought I would take that trip today. I needed to get fuel so I stopped at the Shell station across from TMS (Texas Motor Speedway) and when I go off my bike and looked out across the road I noticed the sign with Dale Earnhardt Way so I decided to take a couple of shots.




I then realized I was hungry so I headed up to Justin to get a Sonic and eat it at the little park in Justin. So of course I had to take a couple of shots.





I then headed up 455 to 730 and stopped to rest at that intersection. A sport biker came by and signaled to see if I was ok and I gave him thumbs up and he went on. There is nothing like fellow bikers out there in very isolated areas. We all watch out for each other. Even though I was out in the middle of no where alone I felt quite comfortable knowing that at some point in time a fellow biker would happen along if I needed help.







As I headed down 730 which was a very nice road to ride I saw this little sign that said Black Creek Lake and Park so I thought what the heck I would check it out. It was a nice park with camping. I did not go around the whole park as after the very windy narrow road getting to the park and then the gravel road into the park I had enough of gravel so I decided to stop and park it. I would recommend extreme caution on the road into the park as it is a lane and ½ at best and has lots of curves. When I met up with a car going in the opposite direction he was nice enough to partially pull off the road a bit and stop so I could get by. Most of the folks I met down at the park where nice but seemed surprised to see a biker at this park.







I then got into Decatur and down 730 it is quite a neat little town with a cool looking town square. I did not stop in the square since I plan to go back there this year for a good day trip to further explore the area. As it turns out I should have since I had to stop to do some map reading as the intersections I found did not match how I remembered them from my last map reading so down a few blocks I stopped to read the map. I found 81/287 after realizing I was on the correct course and headed down to junction 407 and 287. My plan was to take 407 to Justin. So I stopped at the local gas station and liquor store.







After leaving the gas station liquor store to ride the 407 to Justin which is only 9 miles I went about 6 miles and had to turn around due to a very bad accident. The road block was set up far enough away that I do not know what type of vehicles where involved I hope no one got seriously hurt but it did not look good with the road being blocked by cops. I stopped to talk to the cop about a way around it and it was a gravel road so I went back to 287 and took it south to 114 and headed to Boston’s Pizza place to meet Val and later Philip joined us. After that Val drove her car home and Philip and I road until we split at our neighborhood. It was a great day for riding and I had a lot of fun. It sounds like everyone else who road Jan 3rd did as well.

Pj

No comments: