Saturday, September 26, 2009

Vacation Sept – Oct Day 1 Sept 26

Vacation Sept – Oct Day 1 Sept 26

Val got up late by 35 minutes which cost us an hour and 20 minutes off our ETD. Oh well I guess that is what vacations are about, not keeping to a watch. From our last night sit out, Jim and Philip were gong to ride with us to the Oklahoma boarder but Philip had to work on his sisters van and Jim thought it was getting too late in the day. Considering how long it took us to get the boarder and the fact that our destination bar was closed it worked out best.

We finally took off and headed up 121 to 114 West to 156 north. We grabbed a Subway in Justin Tx and stopped to eat it at the little park in Justin. I brought my two cameras and Val brought hers so she shot this first one of me at the Subway area in Justin.



Here we are at the park, a mixture of her shots and mine.






Headed up 156 I nearly rear ended a big ole truck with no tail lights and no turn signals. The color of the truck fit right in with the rest of the scenery and I knew it was moving slower but not sitting at a dead stop. Thank God there was a smooth shoulder for me to go on by him. The funny thing, Val following me in her convertible had the same reaction.

We get up to 455 and go east on it and of course cross the dam on Ray Roberts Lake. Val shot a couple pictures while driving. The one shot of the road is I in front of her. She does hang back well.




I think in at least 3 ride reports I mentioned this bar in Pilot Point that I love to stop at on the way out of Texas or on the way back in when I take the 377. Well I have been telling Val over and over again how cool the place is and I was hoping it was open and sure enough it was. I start looking for a shady place to stop and end up driving around in circles. Val pulls up a long side me with this WTH (what the heck) look on her face and I say I am looking for some shade. She looks straight ahead at the parking lot we just left and pointed. So a little red faced we drive over there and park.



While running our circles I did notice two cars of interest, the most to me was the Gremlin.



She still does not know why we are here and I tell her again about the bar, and she says where is it. I point across the street and she asks “is it open?” I say see the open sign and sure enough she looks puzzled but interested. We walk in and she says wow this is cool. We strike up a great discussion with Bob who we believe own’s the place. He talked about the politics of Pilot Point and the fact that he is from a place on the Map at 2450 and 455 called Bolivar. It is now gone but still on the map. It was established in I think he said 1873 and was an old wooden town that burned down. How it got its name was most interesting in that the name is the same as a name in Tenn. Apparently in the old days they were building something they thought would bring a bunch of folks and they wanted to name it New Prospect. Well this guy from TN during the election bought a bunch of whiskey and offered free shots to those who voted for the name of Bolivar. Hence the town name.

Here is a shot of Val and our historian Bob. I highly recommend this as a stop on any 377 road trip.



It was time to hit the road towards the bar just on the OK side of the boarder. But guess what it only opens at 4PM daily. Real glad Jim and Philip did not ride up here with me, I would never have heard the end of it. But here is an outside shot Vat took. If you look at my Ardmore Ok ride report you will find more about the place.



We get into Ardmore Ok and sure enough we decide to stay at the Days Inn where I stayed on my last trip up here, see the Ardmore Ride report. Anyway Val and I mosey over to the Two Frogs Grill. I think Bret, his daughter and I stopped here the last time we were up here. I do not remember much about it, but man this time I was truly impressed. Everyone was very accommodating and friendly. We shared the Filet and 3 shrimp, which with the sides was plenty of food for us. Jeff our waiter was outstanding, Val even noticed he waited for us not to have our mouths full before asking how we were enjoying our food. That is a talent you do not see very often or even rarely. The owner’s brother Andy was a great guy also, we exchanged cards and I will ensure he gets the link to this ride report. I highly recommend this as a stop if you get up or down to Ardmore OK.




I have called and made a verbal commitment to the La Ville Inn in Davis OK. I think there is enough in the Arbuckle’s area to keep us busy for at least one more day.

Well hopefully I will be as disciplined as I was tonight and write tomorrows ride report tomorrow night. Ride safe and have fun.

Pj

No comments: