Thursday, October 29, 2009

Ride to Granbury 103109 Saturday - Day One

Ride to Granbury 103109

Wow what a day. It started off with me having a problem at work and I was not sure if I was going to be able to leave. Jim and I were trying to figure out timing based on weather and such when his wife Tammy started her car this morning and it sounded funny so Jim had to bail from the ride. Rick bailed last night due to the weather and he was coming from up north so it would be a cold ride just getting down by us. I understand both of their situations as I was still working hoping myself to get out. Well my work problem ended and so I said my normal motor cycle prayer with my wife and I headed out at about 1230PM.

Last night I looked at going to Marble Falls and when I pulled it up on Google I thought I would head down the 144 out of Granbury. Then I expanded the map to see details of the intersection and I then started thinking about just exploring the Granbury area in detail. So I found a back roads route that would turn a 60 mile trip into a 75 mile trip and be all back roads except the 360 down to 287.

Well the best rides are those with no particular destination and this was one of those. I got so lost I really lost about another 20 or 30 miles, but I did not care. Here are some shots from Kennedale that I should never have been in the first place. Some of these shots are from a foundation of an old building I found. My dad would appreciate the old 7X7 and at least ¼/ inch thick floor tiles still left on the upper part of the foundation. I remember helping lay these things as a kid.

The first shot is of a structure I saw in the distance. Still not sure what it is.








The next shot is of the bike on part of the foundation.



I finally got on 917 headed West and man what a good cool road. I am going to take that back home and take more pictures come Monday. I had to make up for some lost time headed west as I did get lost.

I was getting hungry and it was getting time for a cold beer so when I got to Joshua I walked into this little Pizza joint and asked if they had any beer, the very nice lady said no but down the road not even a mile there was this Italian restaurant that may. I went on down and the sign said feel free to BYOB or BYOW so I said bingo. I was still thinking about just keep on going but I grabbed my cooler and went on in. The pizza was one of the more greasy I have ever eaten except maybe Romono’s in Des Plaines Ill., but I like it that way. I did not take a shot of the place as I am not sure how their true Italian food would taste and most people do not like greasy pizza.

When I come out of the restaurant I notice this cool car. I took a shot of the sign only to remember where I was when I took these shots.





I road on to Granbury and I saw many spots that I am going to stop at on my journey home Monday. But as I was riding I started to think about where I wanted to stay, if in Granbury or Glen Rose. I decided going past Godley that it would be Granbury and I thought about checking out the place Val and I stayed at for 4th of July. I was thinking this time of year I should be able to talk them down in price as they were expensive when we stayed there. Then I started thinking about the alternatives and I really did not want to stay at on 377 and I remembered that I thought there was a place at the Y in the road at 377 and 377 business that takes you downtown Granbury. It is called the Plantation Inn on the lake, I pulled in thinking man this place is going to be high. Well, it was extremely reasonable, in fact before I even get to ask the question about price and such this very nice lady starts talking like I am a long lost friend. She states that she must give me a discount as I am a biker and the owner is a biker so he had this standing rule. Well the room was 70 bucks for me and I said heck yes I will take one. We chatted maybe 30 minutes and I ended up leaving for my room with a detailed map of the entire area, with a bunch of ride suggestions, two hotel keys (one to keep in the bike and one for on my person) in case one goes bad or I get locked out, the motorcycle handle of the owner (Dutch), and instructions on where to park the bike if it rains but NOT IN THE ROOM! Seems Dutch either has done that himself or has had damage due to it, but no parking the bikes in the room. I am grinning as I write this, of course I did not park my bike in the room as where I could have (on the walk way under cover) would have been plenty safe. But I told the nice lady if rain came tonight it would have been an act of God and I do have insurance. Anyway the next bunch of pictures (yes I know, Finally!!) , are of the hotel, the room, and the grounds.





















Well when coming back towards the room I saw a cluster of plants and flowers so I messed around with the camera bit so I indulged myself.






Well since I am finishing this on day 2 of my ride I can only say wait until you see tomorrow (today’s) pictures. I hope I can at least get half way through tonight after dinner.

Ride safe, have fun, and seize the moment.

Pj

1 comment:

Phyllis Blickensderfer said...

"Well my work problem ended" I'll bet the real sentence should read "I solved the problem at work." But I won't bug you on it. You're doing great on the photos. A friend of my BiL took shots across Texas -- shots of every kind of sign that said Texas. Ended up publishing a book. My sister has a signed copy, along with his poster with all those Texas signs cropped, about eight across and 12 down the poster. Called "Looking For Texas." Get you a cycle theme going, you'll have a table top book in no time.